Right of Way
Right of way is land expressly reserved for vehicle / pedestrian traffic and/or utilities. The County Public Works Department is the administrating authority of the right-of-way (ROW) within the unincorporated areas of the county.
Right of Way in Santa Cruz CountyThe current ROW Ordinance 2013-04 was adopted by the Board of Supervisors in January 29, 2014. Under the existing ordinance any construction work (e.g., utility construction / relocation / replacement or new driveway construction) or any activity (e.g., organized events, parades, festivals, marathons etc.) in the ROW requires a permit.
PermitsPermits can be retrieved at Public Works Office, located at 2150 N Congress Drive., in Nogales, AZ. The following requirements must be submitted before a permits is issued:
- $2,000,000 liability insurance (homeowners except from this requirement for driveway construction)
- Construction plans which include:
- Construction details
- Construction specifications
- North arrow
- Roads within the scope of the work
- ROW boundaries
- Traffic control plan
- Maricopa Associations of Governments (MAG) Standards
- Maricopa County Department of Transportation (MCDOT) Roadway Design Manual
- MUTCD Manual & Work Zone Traffic Control
- ASSHTO Policy on Geometric Design of Highways