- Health Services
- Vital Records
Santa Cruz County Health Services issues certified certificates for:
DEATHSfrom February 1, 2008 to present.
If you need a birth certificate for a passport or for dual citizenship/immigration purposes, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
The Office of Vital Records DOES NOT issue certificates for the following:
•Birth certificates please see the State Office of Vital Records (Phoenix)
•Birth & death certificates from different states - please contact the respective state's vital records office
Confidentiality Notice: Arizona is not an open record state. Birth and deaths are confidential.
- Applicant must provide a valid ID (see identification requirements).
- Check proof of eligibility to see if additional documents are required.
- Bring the appropriate fee ($20 each)
- Pick up an application form at our office or print a form out from the internet.
- Please provide a valid notary signature and seal on the application form OR a copy of applicant's valid ID (see identification requirements).
- Check proof of eligibility to see if you need to mail any additional documents.
- Mail the appropriate fee. Please allow 1-2 weeks from the time you mail your application
If applying IN PERSON, applicant must show one of the valid, government-issued, photo IDs listed below. If applying BY MAIL, submit a valid, notarized signature on your application or a copy of one of the valid, government-issued, photo IDs listed below.
Valid Government Issued Identification with Picture and Signature:
- United States issued Drivers License or Identification Card
- United States Territories Drivers License or Identification Card
- United States Military Identification Card that contains bearer's signature (some do not)
- Tribal Identification that contains bearer's signature
- Passports – United States or Foreign issued (passport must be signed)
- Visa – In a passport and the bearer's signature is on the passport not the Visa
- Permanent Resident Card issued on or after May 11, 2010 which includes a signature
- Employment Authorized Card (Forms I-766, I-688A or I-668B)
Note: Expired, cracked, broken, taped or faded identification cannot be accepted.
|Parent||Must be names as such on death certificate.|
|Grandparent||A copy of your son/daughter's certified birth certificate naming you as parent. In addition, your son/daughter must be named as parent on your grandchild's birth certificate.|
|Spouse (18+)||A marriage certificate that links the surviving spouse to the deceased.|
|Brother/Sister (18+)||A copy of your own certified birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s) on sibling's death certificate.|
|Son/Daughter (18+)||A copy of own certified birth certificate with showing deceased's name as parent.|
|Legal Guardian||Documentation to establish relationship between the deceased and the requestor; requestor must substantiate legal interest in the certificate. (Notarized or certified documents are preferable but not required.)|
|(18+)= Applicant must be 18 years or older or be emancipated by court order.|